Tab – Literacy
5 BENEFITS OF READING
1. KIDS WHO READ OFTEN GET BETTER AT IT.
Practice makes perfect in almost anything we humans do, and reading is no different than anything else.
2. READING EXERCISES OUR BRAINS.
Reading is a much more complex task for human brains than, say, watching TV. Reading strengthens brain connections and actually builds new connections.
3. READING IMPROVES CONCENTRATION.
Children have to sit still to focus on the story when they are reading. If they read regularly, they develop the ability to do this for longer periods.
4. READING TEACHES CHILDREN ABOUT THE WORLD AROUND THEM.
Through reading, children learn about the world around them. They are exposed to people, places, and events outside their own experience.
5. READING IMPROVES A CHILD’S VOCABULARY AND LEADS TO MORE HIGHLY DEVELOPED LANGUAGE SKILLS.
This is because children learn new words as they read, but also because they unconsciously absorb information about things like how to structure sentences and how to use words effectively as they read.
Family Reading Partnership
Pioneer Valley Books and Resources
Pioneer Valley Parent Resources