August 8, 2017
Dear Sharon Elementary School Parents and Guardians:
On behalf of the SES staff and myself, we would like to wish you and your child(ren) a happy and exciting upcoming school year. You should be receiving a welcome back letter from your child’s classroom teacher in the next couple of weeks. As always, we have had an extremely busy summer with the One Planet program going on in conjunction with our annual summer cleaning. Our custodial and maintenance staff have worked very hard this summer and the school is looking great.
We will start school this year on August 30th and in keeping with tradition will be celebrating the kids’ return. Parents are welcome to attend our first day even if it’s only for a short stay. We have a parade through town, fun activities and some hands-on learning related to our new compost bins. The 30th is a half-day and we will be releasing students at 12:15PM this year to avoid bus conflicts with South Royalton on all half days.
We are excited about the start of school and are confident we are going to have a great year. We have hired a new music teacher (Brad Olhson), Kindergarten teacher (Rachel Piper), and preschool teacher (Nicole Olmstead). Brad will be teaching general music centered around chorus and movement in addition to band for students in grades 4-6. Many parents know Mrs. Piper from her time in the preschool. She is replacing Martha Cain in Kindergarten after 32 years of teaching and is very excited for the opportunity. Nicole comes to us from Williamstown Elementary School where she worked as a classroom para-educator for 11 years. Cheslee Morrison has taken over as our preschool director and is still teaching one of our 4year old classes.
I hope you enjoy your last couple of weeks of summer vacation. We look forward to seeing everyone back at SES on August 30th as we begin an exciting year of learning together. Much of the information below is an overview of upcoming events and other school related information. One Planet information for the upcoming school year will be sent to families via e-mail and posted on our webpage for you to download when it becomes available.
If at anytime you have questions or concerns, please contact me here at school at your convenience. I can also be reached via e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone at 802-763-7425 EX. 11.
Sharon Elementary School
2017 – 2018 School Information
- Open house this year is on Tuesday August 29th from 5:30-6:30. We will meet in the gym where I will introduce the faculty and staff at Sharon and say a few words before releasing folks to visit classrooms. While this is an informal meet and greet, teachers will have packets of information and be available to answer questions.
- 1st day at Sharon is a celebration of the start of school. We will have an all school lunch at 11:30AM with dismissal at 12:15PM. Parents are welcome to attend the first day festivities with their children. It is a half-day and we ask that if you leave early to please notify your child’s classroom teacher.
- In general you may drop your child off as early as 7:15AM. Students arriving this early will be asked to wait in the gym before going outside at 7:30 for morning recess. All students are expected to go outside during this time unless a parent is waiting with them in the lobby or gym. In the afternoon pick up is at 3:00PM and traffic can be a bit crazy!!! Please wait in the gym to pick your child up in the afternoon so that we can keep the lobby area clear.
- Bus Routes have a couple of changes this year so please look at them carefully.
- White Brook Road kids will need to wait at the bottom of the road.
- Cross Road bus will stop at town line.
- Beaver Meadow bus will run out to Sharon Beef.
- We will release on half-days this year at 12:15PM to avoid conflict with other school bus schedules.
- One Planet will offer a gap program starting Thursday August 31st through September 15th. The first session will begin the week of September 18th.
- Remember that summer reading logs should be getting filled out for those who want to participate in special school events and field trips for our summer readers.
- School calendar is posted on school website. Please note that the preschool starts one week later and ends one week early.
Art – Monday/Tuesday
Library – Monday/Tuesday/Wednesday
PE – Tuesday/Thursday/Friday
Music/Band – Wednesday/Thursday