School Counseling Program
Contact: Melissa Zoerheide, School Counselor
The mission of the Sharon Elementary School’s school counseling program is to provide a comprehensive, developmental counseling program addressing the academic, career and personal/social development of all students.
The Sharon Elementary School Counseling Programs work to promote and support a school community of learners who
– have a positive view of self and others.
– strong creative problem solving skills in both academics, social/emotional areas.
– are inspired and motivated for a productive future career (s).
About School Counselors:
SCHOOL COUNSELORS ARE SPECIALISTS
- School counselors are child advocates who work cooperatively with the educational staff, parents, and community.
- School counselors are educational specialists who have master’s degrees in the behavioral sciences.
- School counselors assist students with their social, emotional, and educational development.
- School counselors are human resource specialists who assist students, parents, and educational staff through counseling. consultation, and coordination.
THE SCHOOL COUNSELOR WORKS WITH TEACHERS AND ADMINISTRATORS
- To facilitate referrals and evaluations.
- To provide consultation concerning student’s needs
- To facilitate parent conferences.
- To develop an educational plan to meet the personal, social, educational, and career needs of students.
- To work collaboratively with school psychologists, school nurses, social workers, the career educational coordinator, and the student support teams.
THE SCHOOL COUNSELOR WORKS WITH PARENTS
- To encourage and support student achievement.
- To assist in the interpretation of assessment data.
- To provide family support.
- To design an appropriate educational and career plan for the student.
THE SCHOOL COUNSELOR WORKS WITH STUDENTS
- To provide the needed support to develop positive self-concepts and the motivation necessary for learning.
- To provide individual and group planning and counseling.
GOALS OF SCHOOL COUNSELING
- To assist students with educational, personal, career, and goal planning.
- To develop personalized programs based on each student’s strengths and needs.
- To help students understand themselves and others.
- To assist students in identifying and dealing with problems.
- To facilitate the identification of students with special needs.
- To provide crisis intervention when necessary.
- To coordinate referrals to school and community support services.
- To serve as a resource to students, parents, teachers and administrators.
Some Reasons To Contact The School Counselor
- Academic concerns.
- Divorce, separation, and family changes.
- Drug and alcohol concerns.
- Educational and career planning.
- Experiencing loss, death, and grief.
- Peer relationship issues.
- Problem solving skills.
- School adjustment issues.
- Stress reduction and coping skills.
- Study skills.
How Does A Student Meet With A School Counselor
- Appointment made by the counselor.
- Appointment made by the student.
- Parent referral.
- Teacher referral.
Sharon Elementary School Counselor
Melissa Zoerheide (also known as Mrs. Z)